Chapter 22: Descent with Modification: Answers EVEN
2) the fossil record.
4) Earth is 6,000 years old, and populations are unchanging.
6) Variations in the development of the structures occur as the embryos grow.
8) Charles Lyell
10) Alfred Wallace
12) more recently they shared a common ancestor.
14) individuals must adapt to their environment.
16) island forms and mainland forms descended from common ancestors.
18) by identifying the bones as being homologous by proposing that humans, bats, and dolphins share a common ancestor
20) baleen whales are descendants of toothed whales.
22) DNA or RNA analysis
24) The amount of available food may have increased. The number of predators may have decreased. The squirrels of subsequent generations should show greater levels of variation than previous generations because squirrels that would not have survived in the past will now survive.
26) Of the following anatomical structures, which is homologous to the wing of a bat?
arm of a human
:The Evolution of Populations
2) blending hypothesis
4) It exemplifies the tentative nature of scientific knowledge.
8) a change in the gene pool of a population due to differential reproductive success
14) greater than 0.64
18) It is the differential survival and reproduction of the most fit phenotypes.
20) an increasing mutation rate
22) gene pool.
24) natural selection.
26) 0.1 a, 0.9 A
d 32) d
42) the frequency of all genotypes must be equal.